[Journal] About the Journal latex file and other though

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Apr 1 01:48:04 EDT 2008

Hi all;
Two comments, see below...

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> On 13-Mar-08, at 2:22 PM, Yves Jacolin wrote:
>> I think it will better to find a standard way to named the LaTeX file.
>> Currently, the name of the author is used, following by the filename
>> which
>> always different and we never now in which directory it is, which is
>> sometime
>> hard to find out. It could be easier (for translator) to find out the
>> file if
>> it has a standard name, for exemple :
>> <thematic>/<topic>_<authorName>/<topic>_<authorName>.tex.
>> All other standard filename could be better.
>
> Hi Yves,
> Thanks for the feedback on these ideas - I appreciate the thoughtfulness.
>
>> <thematic>/<topic>_<authorName>/<topic>_<authorName>.tex.
>
> I agree with this approach for storing files in SVN.  As long as no
> one else has any concern about it, I would like to adopt this as a
> standard.  So, for example, an entry might look like this:
>
> /journal/volume_1/en-us/case_studies/mapserver_mitchell/mapserver_mitchell.tex
>

>> It seem important to me that it should avoid to let some extra tex or
>> other
>> files not useful in the svn. It is possible to delete this kind of
>> file as
>> soon they are not useful. Translator will not translate wrong files ;)
>
> Agreed.  Each editor will need to be responsible for their own folders
> to make this happen.
So where should editors dump the author's original writings (usually in
some other document format)? These are not necessary for compiling the
final Journal, but Tyler asked that they be kept in svn as a backup of
the source.

>> Finally, it seem important to me that each article in the
>> OSGeo_journal.tex
>> file have to be separate by a \newpage:
>
> I'm not opposed to this idea, and I will try it with the next volume
> to see how it looks.  I've struggled with this on and off because that
> documents have had a lot of pages already - by adding new page breaks
> it could easily have added 10 more pages to the previous issues.  I
> thought reducing this might help reduce paper printing costs (for
> those printing the PDF) - but in this day I think we can put the
> responsibility back on the reader to decide the best approach for
> printing.  I've used the latex module "savetrees" before and it helps
> suck out unneeded space - having a "minimised" version like this would
> be a nice option.
I have a feeling that the two column layout also wastes some space.
Perhaps towards the next issue, I could try a test latex compile with a
one column layout to see if there's any substantial difference.

--
Micha

--
Micha Silver