[Journal] About the Journal latex file and other though

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 31 16:47:18 EDT 2008

On 13-Mar-08, at 2:22 PM, Yves Jacolin wrote:
> I think it will better to find a standard way to named the LaTeX file.
> Currently, the name of the author is used, following by the
> filename which
> always different and we never now in which directory it is, which
> is sometime
> hard to find out. It could be easier (for translator) to find out
> the file if
> it has a standard name, for exemple :
> <thematic>/<topic>_<authorName>/<topic>_<authorName>.tex.
> All other standard filename could be better.

Hi Yves,
Thanks for the feedback on these ideas - I appreciate the
thoughtfulness.

> <thematic>/<topic>_<authorName>/<topic>_<authorName>.tex.

I agree with this approach for storing files in SVN.  As long as no
one else has any concern about it, I would like to adopt this as a
standard.  So, for example, an entry might look like this:

/journal/volume_1/en-us/case_studies/mapserver_mitchell/
mapserver_mitchell.tex

> It seem important to me that it should avoid to let some extra tex
> or other
> files not useful in the svn. It is possible to delete this kind of
> file as
> soon they are not useful. Translator will not translate wrong files ;)

Agreed.  Each editor will need to be responsible for their own
folders to make this happen.

> Another though, if you can send an email to the list as soon as a
> new tools is
> used for the journal, it could be great. We began to work to the
> splitted pdf
> file and someone find the nice tools in final_pdf/ directory ;)

Funny you should mention that, because I forgot about that file and
am not even sure if I used it in the end (I wrote it in an airport
lobby somewhere).  For those of you who haven't noticed how we do the
final separate PDFs for each article, you can see this simple script
that helps to break apart the main PDF, add a cover, add the credits
and create a new file.

http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_3/en-us/final_pdfs/
make_pdfsplit.sh

> Finally, it seem important to me that each article in the
> OSGeo_journal.tex
> file have to be separate by a \newpage:

I'm not opposed to this idea, and I will try it with the next volume
to see how it looks.  I've struggled with this on and off because
that documents have had a lot of pages already - by adding new page
breaks it could easily have added 10 more pages to the previous
issues.  I thought reducing this might help reduce paper printing
costs (for those printing the PDF) - but in this day I think we can
put the responsibility back on the reader to decide the best approach
for printing.  I've used the latex module "savetrees" before and it
helps suck out unneeded space - having a "minimised" version like
this would be a nice option.

Thanks again for the feedback!