[Journal] Converting to HTML

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Nov 25 14:13:39 EST 2010

I should have mentioned the main challenge with outputting the journal to HTML
is that, for example, in the annual report we have a ton of bullet lists.  A
full screen width html doc with bullet lists is kind scary looking ;-)

On November 25, 2010 11:10:54 am Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Landon was asking me about converting to HTML from our latex sources, so I
> dug into a few options.  Anyone used any other tools to do the job well?
>
> * make html - in the normal OSGeo folders you can run this (a few files
> copied from earlier volumes may be necessary), but the output is very
> coarse and hardly usable.  It uses latex2html command - I think maybe it
> can be improved if we customise a config file.  Anyone used it before?
> * pdftohtml - with this command I get similar output.  I think this is same
> as pdf2html on sf.net.  Not sure.
> * using lyx to export HTML.  Lyx has the ability to import latex, then
> output html, pdf, odt etc.  The backend it uses seems to be htlatex.
> Results not so good.
>
> I certainly like the idea of being able to systematically create html
> output during our normal build cycles.  Converting from PDF has some
> advantages it seems and there are a few online services that are
> impressive.  For example, shove one of our resultant PDFs through this
> service:
>
> http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf-to-html/default.aspx
>
> Almost perfect and nice to look at.  At least much nicer than a long boring
> looking page ;-)
>
> Any thoughts or comments on better ways to do it?

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director, OSGeo
tmitchell at osgeo.org
+1-250-303-1831
See you at FOSS4 2011 Denver in September!