[Journal] Help on LaTex Syntax for Journal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 29 17:46:56 EST 2010

On November 29, 2010 01:13:42 pm Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> I started work today converting the first of the peer review articles
> into LaTex. I need help to clarify a couple of syntax issues on the
> LaTex commands we use for the Journal. Here my questions:

Glad to see you're biting the bullet of learning latex ;-)
Thanks to Markus for already commenting.  To add to it, just have a look at
some of the files from vol 6 - that was _by far_ the most complex volume of the
Journal we've done so far - since several articles used bibliographies and in
a couple different ways.

I recommend looking at:
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_6/en-
us/project_spotlight/olaya/sextante.tex
and also the sextante.bib file that is in that folder as well.

It has bibliography examples, includegraphics examples and citations.

Yes we use bibtex but for the last volume I ran it manually after all was
settled down.  It's somewhat counter intuitive - you have to run the pdflatex
command once or twice first.. then bibtex, then the pdflatex command again.

HOWEVER, we have this all automated in our Makefile for each volume.  So
conceivably you run "make" and it all is done for you.  I disabled the bibtex
in vol 6 and ran it manually since my machine wasn't compiling things right.

For examples see the process laid out in:
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_6/en-us/Makefile

Hope that helps!  Holler if not!