[Journal] FOSS4G 2011 Special Edition

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sat Sep 24 01:41:47 EDT 2011

Hi all Journal friends,

As you have probably already saw, I will no longer have a job with OSGeo in two months.
It doesn't mean I will run away but, as you can imagine, being surprised by job loss
means you cannot speculate on your time availability in the near future.

I may have time to help with the current annual report if needed, but for the next
edition I'm not so sure.  I'm in the process of handing off my primary responsibilities
over to the OSGeo board, though I don't expect directors will be available to help
fill in on my journal tasks since it was often out of scope for my position.

So, we should talk about finding the smoothest way
through this change, because we had committed to publish a handful of paper
proceedings from the FOSS4G 2011 event.  Papers will be reviewed and
submitted by end of year and require a 1-3 month turnaround.  We can even
required them to be submitted in latex so conversion requirements are minimal.

Any thoughts?  I'm happy to pass the reigns or remain officially until I know
that I absolutely cannot help - either way works for me, I just don't want to be a
bottleneck.

This is one of my most
personal special projects so it's hard to even think of stepping back more than I
already have due to priorities I had at the time.

Perhaps it's time to consider a topic several of you have brought up before: advertising
and sponsorship?  If I was able to acquire some funding to help fund my editing
position, would anyone be opposed to having these used in the Journal.  I'm not
sure I'll ultimately need it, but thought I'd check to see what you thought.  In the last
issue we had a great contractor also help and I think that eased the pain for all
of us.  Having some cash for this might help on a few fronts.

That's not be all and end all of brainstorming but thought I'd start the ball rolling.
Share your thoughts on next steps :)

Best wishes and officially, thanks for all the hard work going into the project
historically and presently!  It's been a pleasure working with you.