[Journal] A Short Guide to Writing Chapter Annual Report Items

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Sun Nov 11 10:58:57 PST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Landon Blake
<sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've put together a short guide to help authors that put together our
> OSGeo Local Chapter Annual Report Items. You can read the guide here:
>

> http://geojournaleditor.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/a-short-guide-to-writing-chapter-annual-report-items/
>
> I'd like to do the same thing for case study articles and software
> project annual report items.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I've always taken the wiki as the source for this type of information:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Journal
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_Report_Template
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_Report:_Chapter_Report_Item_Template
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_Report:_Software_Project_Report_Item_Template
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Journal_Volume_9
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Journal_Volume_11
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_Report_2011

To avoid a fracturing of focus and creating confusion, we should probably
have some coherent mostly single source presentation.  There should not be
two different sets of directions on how to send an annual report.  I had
sort of assumed that the point of the Journal blog was mostly an out-facing
consumption platform (i.e. people might prefer to read journal articles as
blog entries rather than a pdf).  I think that multiple out-going channels
for Journal content are fine (one journal article goes out in pdf, blog,
news item, youtube demo, twitter, etc, etc).  I thought it might also
include blog entires about the Journal (like we have Canadian English,
Standard American English, Australian English, UK English, and many English
as an additional language all in one Journal!)  What are the goals of the
Journal blog?

I generally prefer osgeo.org urls for official OSGeo activities, which I
think the journal is.  Many OSGeo members have wiki logins already too.
Other than url and existing logins, I don't have much preference of wiki or
blog but would like it to be consistent and straight forward (and not
multiple conflicting sources of information).  My interest remains mostly
on copyediting and proofreading and that is how I'll continue to focus my
effort.

My initial thoughts, Eli

Thanks.