[Oceania-Board] motions: let F4G Oceania 2020 access all Good Mojo funds

Greg Lauer gregory.lauer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:22:29 PDT 2020

I am -1 on Adams motion.

>From Adams motion

*The Good Mojo fund is designed to support inclusivity initiatives, and is
not part of the regular operational budget of OSGeo Oceania. It is meant to
be spent.*

Yes agreed

*This motion aims to adjust the OSGeo Oceania budget to ensure that there
is no cap on how much of the Good Mojo budget can be spent in a given time
period.*

To be honest I have no idea what Adam is asking here? Are you talking about
the OSGeo Oceania budget or the 2020 FOSS4g SoTM budget? As far as I know
there is no cap on any Good Mojo expenditure, as long as it meets (some
very loose) guidelines.

As has been discussed already we have a mechanism in place for Good Mojo
spending. If it is related to 2020 FOSS4g SoTM then a hub manager can apply
for Good Mojo funding through the LOC. The LOC has a budget. The Board does
not need to get involved. If the LOC feels it needs an increased budget to
cover Good Mojo (or any) spending then the LOC can make the request to the
Board. As far as I know nobody has made a  request for Good Mojo funding at
this time. If it is a general request (outside of the conference) then the
request needs to go to the Board for consideration. In any case I would
think any request that meets the general premise of the Good Mojo fund
would be positively received.

I do not support 'we have $8000 in the Good Mojo fund - let's spend it all
now'. OO will have very little income this year (if not a deficit) and it
is unlikely that we will raise any Good Mojo funds in this financial year.
We have a potential conference next year (and even that may be unlikely at
this stage as the federal Govt. is saying that travel will be restricted to
the end of 2021) so we should ensure that we have funds available to
support future initiatives. We also need to be mindful of ensuring that the
funding is equitably spent (geographic and purpose).

I am in support of Alex's comments that we need to do something to
communicate that we have a budget available for this and our other
community support lines, and provide information on how people can apply
for funding.

Gregf