[Oceania-Board] Microgrants and Good Mojo procedures and questions

Emma Hain emmahain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 16:11:58 PDT 2021

Hi Eli
Thanks for this work - I remember last year there was also some discussion
on this.
Here are my thoughts:
1) Original application - what is money being spent on? Can the board have
access to the full application?

   - This has to sit with the grant group and should sit with them and not
   be open up to the board. We shouldn't be micro-managing these things.
   - Loomio is a great vehicle for this as the action is simple after
   consideration has been given.
   - Perhaps there just needs to be a brief summary in point form in Loomio
   in an attached excel/doc???

2)How and why the application has been approved, and if there were any
conflicts of interest, how they have been managed

   - So I see the difference between the 2 programs is that one is applied
   for (the Microgrants) and the Good Mojo is at the Board's discretion and to
   be able to funnel funds in areas that show they need some backing or for
   some ideas - perhaps there is a governing statement on what criteria it
   meets.
   - The Good Mojo fund policy is something definitely to be worked on, but
   from my perspective, if the board agrees to it, and it is something that
   benefits the community to participate in OSGeo Oceania activities, then I
   think it is currently fitting the bill.

3)      What guarantee do we have that the money is spent on what it was
originally agreed to?
4)      Why does the money need to be paid in advance? (that’s referring to
Good Mojo only). Should we fix a threshold of $500 to send money in advance
or not?

   - I am happy for it to be built on trust. The only thing here is are we
   meeting the requirements for when we get audited? Will receipts do it?]

*On the last note:*

   - If the group is happy the requirements are there for the funding to be
   given, I think it needs to be given to ensure the requestee is ready for
   the conference.
   - If someone from the finance committee sits on the microgrants/mojo
   group, and they are ok with it, then I can't see why there is an issue for
   it to be transferred.
   - I don't know enough but is there a limit that the group can approve up
   till until the board needs to be involved?  Perhaps this can work that
   under $1k is approved by the group and then over that it just needs to be
   tabled at the next board meeting or via Loomio? I just don't want it be too
   micro-managed but am also aware of our role as caretakers for theses
   resources.

*Thanks again for your stewardship in these great endeavours. *
*Cheers*
*Em*