[Oceania-Board] Microgrants and Good Mojo procedures and questions

Greg Lauer gregory.lauer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 20:51:55 PDT 2021

Thanks Eli for the very comprehensive email outlining your thoughts. To be transparent I questioned Eli on a transfer and this is were this email derived from. The key issue was being asked to send $900 overseas to a Western Union account with out any supporting documentation (who, what were etc.). The issue was not about the committees decision to make and/or authorize a grant.

In answering Eli's questions:

1. I am in complete agreement that the board should not interfere on the day to day running of committee(s). As per Ed's comments, in my mind it more about transparency, and Board members have a fiduciary duty to manage funds. With the Microgrant fund this was (initially) easily done by board members having read only access to Loomino (not sure why this stopped) With other grants there doesn't seem to be a transparent process to follow. I should add, in my mind, the Board have the right to 'Audit' decisions at any stage (although in reality this should be very rare).

2. Again to be clear the board should not be involved in the decision making at a committee level. The only area that should have some Board over-site is Conflict of Interest (and this been raised before) and general understanding of processes. I my mind, again , this is about transparency.

3. I will split this into two.

In terms of "guarantee do we have that the money is spent on what it was originally agreed to", with post payment this is reasonably easy to manage. With pre-payment I think we need to set the expectations clearly with the grantee, in writing (form letter) and acknowledged, of the obligations.I am not so worried about Microgrants but but believe larger grants require extra steps.

In most cases we reimburse grantees based on pre-approved submission of receipts or similar. This is a simple and very easy way to manage and very transparent and ensured that the monies was spent as  There has been (and will continue to be) cases were this is not practical and we will need to send monies in advance. I am very confident this can be managed transparently but in my mind requires a couple of extra steps (for example a simple agreement signed by the grantee acknowledging the terms of the grant etc).

4. I have answered above - there will always be cases to make money available in advance, and we should support that, with appropriate safeguards

To be very clear this is not aimed at Eli or the grants team at all - 110% supportive of the work they are doing. If anything this is a bit of a swing back at the board (myself included) in that we need to provide better support to the committees so they can spend money on these types of things and have clear guidelines in place. It is not fair for Eli to have to try and navigate this without board support.

In terms of the outstanding grant to Suva we need to resolve this reasonably quickly. If Eli and he team have approved this we need to make it available. For me a very brief email with the grantee, purpose of funds ('Lunch for Suva Hub'), some very basic accounting/proposed line items  (30 x lunch @ $10 etc) would suffice. If it is a there is a potential conflict of interest (i.e Board member, contractor, friend etc) then a very short statement how this was mitigated.  Although I would feel more conformable with a written acknowledgement from the grantee, I accept that we are running out of time here.

Greg