[Oceania-Board] Supporting the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 11:04:25 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I am proposing that OSGeo Oceania make a donation to the OpenStreetMap
Foundation (OSMF).

The OSMF has been preparing for a fundraising drive
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2023-March/008520.html>
that will support their extensive expenditures over the next few years.
Maintaining OSM servers is by far the largest cost that the OSMF bears. As
you can see here
<https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2023-01#Operations_Working_Group_2023_budget>,
*"the majority of the budget is fixed recurring costs like power, network,
space, cloud hosting, and subscriptions."*

As the local chapter of OpenStreetMap in Oceania, it seems logical that we
take some of the proceeds from our conferences and use it to support this
essential infrastructure.

In our last board meeting, the board seemed willing to support the OSMF, so
I am starting this thread to confirm and help us determine an amount. The
logistics should be easy as there are a number of options
<https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Donate> to donate. If we proceed and
confirm the amount, we can give the OSMF the heads up beforehand.

I don't have strong feelings on the exact amount, but I am thinking
something >$1,000 AUD to show our commitment.

Thoughts?

Ed