[Oceania-Board] 2024-2025 budget

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 19:16:06 PDT 2024

I think it's a good idea to model a pessimistic scenario, but the $4k
surplus isn't that pessimistic - it's based on a conference surplus that's
more than double Auckland's surplus.

A moderately pessimistic scenario would have to contain the possibility the
2024 conference surplus is similar to 2023, ie ~13k. I'm optimistic too,
but given that Auckland is a much bigger market than Hobart, and cost of
living pressures are making people very cautious about discretionary
spending, I think we have to consider it within the realm of possibility.

I've done a moderately pessimistic "scenario 2" in the simplified sheet
that includes this contingency. It puts the TGP at $15k, reduces other
community investment (grants, sponsorship, WGs) by $5k, and it puts us at a
loss of ~$12k. Hopefully very unlikely, but at this stage we just don't
know - our most recent experience indicates that it's possible.

I don't think we're in a financial position right now to allocate more than
we've ever spent on TGP, at a point when we're at maximum uncertainty about
conference income. Our past experience has shown us we can approach it
progressively - allocate a modest amount now, and increase it when we
become more confident we have the surplus to support it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think we should start small, and grow it
when we hit sponsorship and registration targets, otherwise we run the risk
we 1) make a large loss again next year and/or 2) have to cut
other community investments.

Cheers
John