[Aust-NZ] Live CDs for the FOSS4G conference and DebianGIS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 19:00:33 PDT 2008

Brent:
> For more info, see the LINZ BDE (Bulk Data Extract) info at
> http://www.linz.govt.nz/core/surveysystem/cadastraldata/index.html

"Ordering Landonline BDE

The LINZ price for each, or any, supply of Landonline BDE has been set at
$270 inclusive of GST. This reflects LINZ's cost of dissemination and is
in line with Government policy of making Government-held information more
readily available.

LINZ will not impose any copyright fees for the use of Landonline BDE.
This means that those purchasing this data from LINZ will be able to
on-sell it or share it with other parties without the requirement to pay
additional copyright fees. However, while the Crown will not impose any
charges for the use of its intellectual property, the Crown will still
maintain its copyright and require its acknowledgement. This is necessary
to protect the authoritative nature of the Crown's data and to reduce the
risk of any liability arising from its misuse. Similarly, we would expect
all purchasers to comply with The Privacy Act 1993."

sounds reasonable enough, and fairly cheap if we want to avoid dealing
with a reseller. (But it sounds like Rob is willing to provide the raw
data)

The BDE website says the dataset is now 30GB; I remember the old copy of
linz_topo4 shapefiles just fit on a 4gb DVD. ... so how big are we
looking at? Will we have to pick selected layers and/or generalize them
into smaller files to fit on a DVD?

I think we can expect to use a liveDVD not a liveCD, with the bulk of the
space used by spatial data.

Robert:
> nzopengis[1] has been talking to LINZ about putting the topo and
> cadastral roads into OSM as a 'seeding' dataset...

Excellent.

> Next steps are to figure out an import process that would allow for
> future updates,

maybe too far abstracted and the problem at hand is organizational; but for a technical solution you might look at how the IHO's S-57 electronic nautical chart format deals with periodic updates to the dataset. (via amendment patches)

> If you want to deal with LINZ directly I'd suggest getting in touch with
> Adam or Brendan at the NZ Geospatial Office.

Yes, met them at SIRC last December. I had been meaning to include them
in a group email advertising the birth of OSGeo Aust-NZ and FOSS4G 2009,
but lacked an email address for their group.

> Koordinates can get you the data as Shapefiles with LINZs approval or
> supply them using our own licenses for the confererence.

You're a champ.

Hamish