[Aust-NZ] How can OSIA work with OSGeo?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 04:26:11 PDT 2008

OSIA, meet OSGeo.  OSGeo, meet OSIA.

OSIA = Open Source Industry Australia
OSGeo Aust/NZ = The Australian/New Zealand local chapter of the Open
Source Geospatial Foundation. http://osgeo.org

At OSGeo, we promote the OS stack of Geospatial software and over the
past year or so we have been presenting at Geospatial conferences, and
lobbying for use of Open Standards and Open Source in Spatial Data
Infrastructure. In particular, Sydney will hold the 2009 international
conference for OSGeo - the gathering of the geospatial tribes, which
attracts ~ 700 people. This will be 17-23 November 2009.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009

So how can OSGeo and OSIA work together? Here are some of my immediate
ideas:
1. OSGeo can present on Open Source Geospatial topics. We can add some
worthy presentations to OSDC. http://www.osdc.com.au
2. Maybe OSDC 2009 could overlap with the OSGeo 2009 conference. Both
conferences should increase numbers by having attendees from one
conference join the other.
3. OSGeo could possibly share stand space with other OS vendors at
geospatial conferences.
4. what else ...?

--
Cameron Shorter