[Aust-NZ] Confusion on the use of the term SDI? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ian.Batley at ga.gov.au Ian.Batley at ga.gov.au
Mon Jun 23 18:16:07 PDT 2008

NSDI is a combination of technology, policies, standards and human resources
necessary to acquire, process, store,

distribute, and improve utilization of geospatial data. Conceptual parts of
NSDI: 1. Institutional framework defines

the policies, legal and administrative support to create, maintain and apply
the standards to fundamental data sets; 2.

Standards define technical characteristics to fundamental data sets; 3.
Fundamental data sets require geodetic

framework, topographic and cadastre data bases; 4. Technological framework
allows the users to identify and

receive the access to fundamental data sets (from GSDI Cookbook, 2000).

Some other information on the ASDI

http://www.anzlic.org.au/get/2383541438.doc

http://www.anzlic.org.au/publications.html (all sorts of documents here)

http://www.anzlic.org.au/infrastructure_ASDI.html

http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/asdi/

With the benefit of hindsight, when we were creating the documentation for
the ANZLIC Metadata Profile we probably should have included information to
show how metadata and the Profile are parts of the whole ASDI.

Ian

Ian Batley

ian.batley at ga.gov.au