[Aust-NZ] Geoscience Australia goes CC-BY [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Sun Dec 6 18:26:16 PST 2009

Thanks Gavin,

That clarifies a few points.

We have data that we manage as data custodians, and as custodians, we choose not to allow others to edit that data for issues relating to data quality etc (In our business that is a valid concern). Therefore we're releasing 'whole' datasets as is.

We have a couple of choices as to licenses:

- go to a lawyer and draft a separate license agreement to allow access to the data.

- use a commonly accepted license, e.g. a CC license, that our laywers will accept.

(My personal preference is to use a CC license, however, we have yet to see if that will be the way we go.)

The first option will have you going to your lawyer for a translation to see if it is OK to use. The second option (CC), should avoid that.

Wrt Spatial Metadata, I believe that all spatial professionals have a responsibility to *maintain* and release a (url to their) quality metadata record with their data sets.

Wrt 'provenance' (isn't that part of the Metadata ;-) ), as a user of a spatial dataset, I'd prefer to know where that data came from and what its metadata had to say, particularly:

- if I needed to rely on it for a particular reason; or

- if I needed to rely on an analysis derived from it.

This is especially important if I had to make a decision that had $$$$ or similar related to it.

Now when data gets included within another dataset 'provenance' becomes more important. ISO 19115 can handle this situation with record level metadata if required (with your help of course).

Wrt mashups etc, this is the current nature of the application of the technology. Why look to governments to fix this by releasing data 'on a free for all basis'?

Just a few thoughts...

Bruce