[Aust-NZ] Geoscience Australia goes CC-BY [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Sun Dec 6 19:25:51 PST 2009

Hi again Gavin,

> And can I therefore assume you're also selecting CC-ND (No
> Derivatives) to ensure that edits and/or modified data is not
> redistributed? ;)

No. We're only concerned with our Authoritative data source.

That goes back to your and Brent's comments on 'provinence'. User Beware!

> Adopting CC is the start of a slope that is ultimately going
> to end up with government agencies having to either provide a
> process of accepting edits/corrections from citizens, or
> having citizens maintain their own more accurate derivations
> of datasets because the official release is not being funded
> to maintain it to an acceptable level of quality. I think the
> take-home point here is that funding needs to be made
> available to agencies to ensure that the owner of a dataset
> is able to accept end-user corrections. Note that not all
> datasets need this, but some such as roads, walking tracks
> etc change frequently and need corrections applied. Those
> derived sets that are the result of analysis and calculation
> are far less likely to require end-user correction - although
> this will depend on the changes in the factual datasets that
> are act as inputs. But the factual datasets will - we do
> after all live in dynamic communities, landscapes and
> infrastructure and we need agencies to reflect changes in
> these datasets in a timely manner.

You may have missed the proposal that I put to the Victorian Government's 'Parliamentary Inquiry Into Improving Access To Victorian Public Sector Information' on this.

See [1] pp 30-31.

Bruce

[1] http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/edic/inquiries/access_to_PSI/submissions/PSI_Sub_33_Open_Source_Geospatial.pdf