[Aust-NZ] Re: [metadata] observation on metadata‏

Ross Charles Johnson rossgo at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:45:48 PST 2009

FROM: Ted Habermann

I agree completely with Peter and have extended his work to include the
remote sensing extensions at
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata/published. Each of the metadata
records in the groups listed on this page have FAQ views available (in
addition to others). It has always been my favorite.

We are now trying to extend the same ideas into the ISO realm. In this
case we are initially trying to use the approach to help metadata
managers understand how this new and powerful set of standards can be
used to help make data independently understandable. We are trying to
bring back the idea that metadata are critical for understanding data
once you discover it. The page
https://www.nosc.noaa.gov/dmc/swg/wiki/index.php?title=Use_Cases_to_CRUD
shows our initial work at developing this idea. It is included in a wiki
that has a bunch of information on the ISO Standards. Press Categories
in the navigation bar, then ISO 19115 to see that information.

Comments/corrections/suggestions/examples should be considered Mandatory
if Applicable.

Ted

--
Enterprise Data Systems Group Leader