[Aust-NZ] Moves to free Australian Public Sector Information

Rob Atkinson robatkinson101 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:58:04 PDT 2009

This post purports to be about information, but the content is about software.

I think we are confusing two separate issues.  (although its arguable
that availability of software is an enabler for open information).

The best driver for uptake of open source will be available data. But
we wont get the data till we have the technology established in the
mindset - much like the current standard of online access to
government services was kick started by the WWW technology).

I'll be going to FOSS4G with an eye to keeping tabs on how close we
are to being able to drive the debate effectively. At the moment
Google and other online mapping drive much thinking through provision
of base mapping.  What should we focus on?

Rob Atkinson