[Aust-NZ] Superficial review of copyright issues related to collection and publication of education material on OSGeo Website (LINK) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Aug 3 01:02:51 PDT 2010

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has looked at this:

For data where someone has specified attribution, but not specific representation as per Rob's Comic Sans, 38pt, colour pink on the front page. ;-)

Would having appropriate ISO 19115 / 19139 Metadata with the lineage of the dataset attributing the source satisfy the BY clause in CC?

That way, systems designers / developers could provide links to the dataset's ISO 19139 representation of the Metadata (e.g. via the ASDD) allowing users to see where the data originated from, and equally as important what has been done to it since.

Bruce Bannerman

On 3/08/10 5:41 PM, "Robert Coup" <robert.coup at koordinates.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Simon Cropper
<scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> Makes me wonder though, in a textural non-exact document, how much changes
> would a needed to trigger the loss of attribution or conversely how much
> change would the original author accept before they were willing to forgo
> attribution. A situation 'any change loose attribution' is simple but may not
> be applicable if someone is just fixing a typo.

As an author under CC, you can specify exactly what your attribution
needs to comprise of. You can state that if a derived work is created,
your name should be removed or the statement made explicitly clear
that it is a work derived from an original by X. You could even state
that your name needs to be on the cover of any printed document in
Comic Sans, 38pt, colour pink.

Rob :)