[Aust-NZ] Update on who is doing what with FOSS4G in AustNZ [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Mon Oct 11 14:20:43 PDT 2010

Following on from the Spatial at Gov conference and the number of projects that
mentioned that they were using and or investigating FOSS4G software, I
thought that it would be good to do another round up on who is doing what
with FOSS4G in our region.

This will give each of us a set of contacts to organisations who are doing
similar things to us so that we can follow up and bounce ideas off each
other.

So what are you doing with Open Source Spatial software?

At the Bureau of Meteorology we have a number of projects and systems
running:

- We make widespread use of:

  + OGR/GDAL for conversion of spatial data;

  + GeoTools to provide spatial functionality to a Quality Management
    System;

  + OpenLayers for several simple Map Interfaces e.g. [1].

  + THREDDS for serving selected gridded datasets internally.

- We have Production Systems within our GIS2Web environment that serve out
selected data for Emergency Management and Internal purposes (not yet
publically available). This environment uses:

  + Postgres and PostGIS;

  + MapServer for WMS; and

  + Some GeoServer.

- In Climate and Water:

  + we are doing some prototype work with Rob Woodcock's team at CSIRO to
serve selected Climate and Water related datasets via WFS in the first
instance. This work is currently based on SF0 (Simple Features). In the
future we hope to be working with the international community to develop a
suitable community schema based on Observations and Measurements to be used
with WFS SF1 (Complex Features) and Sensor Web Services. We're using
Postgres, PostGIS and GeoServer for this work.

  + we are planning to undertake a prototype project using Rasdaman to serve
gridded and multispectral data via WCS;

  + we are also planning to do some prototype work with WPS and WCPS.

This work is mainly for internal use. We are looking at how we can make
relevant data available publically via Open spatial standards.

I have not touched on all of the FOSS4G related work that we are doing at
the Bureau. Perhaps some of my colleagues will add more.

So what are you doing with FOSS4G?

Bruce Bannerman

[1] http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/