[Aust-NZ] Update on who is doing what with FOSS4G in AustNZ [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 19:36:34 PDT 2010

HI Bruce

I am not sure what I am doing with foss4g software in the region - we have been a bit quiet around these parts have we not? I am glad the Spatial at Gov conference went well; it would be good to hear a few more accounts on what went on.

As for me - projects:

WIth the GeoServer project I am simply marking time; reviewing proposals as they come through and looking forward to getting work in the area. You asked a year or so ago about geoserver joining the osgeo foundation; a step we did take (and have entered incubation); however progress has been non existent; as there is little to motivate volunteers in this area. There have been all manner of interesting proposals being accepted for GeoServer; the most exciting for me is the resurrection of the configuration backed by a database design (the original goal of GeoServer 2.0 from an internals point of view is to back the configuration on to a database for ease of managing a cluster of computers). There have also been a vast number of improvements in rendering; and even some progress towards rendering complex features.

With GeoTools I am just back from a very successful workshop at foss4g and am really happy with the usability improvements made to facilitate that workshop. Personally I am taking the wps client module under my wing as a volunteer in an effort to track what is going on with the standard and encourage adoption. I found the adoption of the CAT standard to be held back by the lack of a client library (something I was never able to obtain funding for) and I would like to ensure that the WPS adoption is not stagnated in a similar fashion. The GeoTools project is actually running at a good rate with plenty of funded development; smooth procedures allowing the development teams to collaborate - a real pleasure to be involved. From the Australian perspective plenty of local involvement thanks to Ben and co. Indeed they are slowly whittling the feature model into a sharp point. However some of the older work is now being sent out to pasture; including the interesting crowdsourcing work done by landgate some years back.

With uDig I have not managed to catch up to what has been a very active community. The project recently switch over to GIT; which has facilitated the contribution of a number of interesting plugins (in the area of fancy style dialogs, support for more tile server standards etc..). At the foss4g conference I met several teams which were working productively but being very quiet about it. Indeed they had all kinds of amazing things working; most interestingly to the development community was they use of Tycho (a maven 3 build system for Eclipse RCP applications).

Beyond individual projects - industry-wise I have taken an interest in the state of play for the web processing service standard (not strictly open source on this one; more focused on seeing that the standard makes sense and that there is interoperability between different implementations). I was taken aback by the level of excitement and passion at this years foss4g conference; and am thinking of organising a wps shoot out next year's conference.

Other than that I have been talking to developers in the Brisbane area; and have found that nobody was aware of the Aust-NZ email list; so some local advocacy is needed. Not sure if I will work on that or projects :-)

Jody