[Aust-NZ] open source event in Canberra - ideas for presenters

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 16:18:37 PDT 2010

Hi Alister,
Good to talk with you and hear about your Open Source GeoSpatial
presentation coming up this Friday.

Here are some resources which will likely be valuable for your
presenters and attendees:

Training
======
GeoSpatial Standards and Open Source Training has just been launched by
LISAsoft, covering:
* Building a SDI using OGC Standards
* GeoServer web service
* PostGIS database
* Openlayers web mapping
* GeoNetwork metadata
* Effective Software Selection
http://lisasoft.com/lisasoft-professional-training

Summaries of the best GeoSpatial Open Source Applications:
======================================
1 page overviews linked from here:
http://live.osgeo.org/overview/overview.html

25 minute presentation here:
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/promo/en/presentations/OSGeoLive4_0Taster/

(Note, the presentation and one page overviews that we have created are
currently being translated into German, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, Greek)

Excellent EU guidelines for public administrations purchasing software:
I've summarised highlights here:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2010/10/eu-guidelines-for-public.html

Video of a presentation I gave, along with transcript, on the topic of
"Selling Open Source to Government" which can equally be read as "What
business logic can I use to convince my boss that Open Source is a good
idea" is available here:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2010/09/script-for-how-to-sell-open-source-to.html

On 24/10/10 18:10, Ross Johnson wrote:

> *29^th October: *ACT Neo Geography – Using Open Source Resources for GIS
> * ***
>
> *When: *Friday, 29 October 2010, 1:30 - 4:45 pm.
>
> **Where: **ACTPLA Conference Room 16 Challis St Dickson, CANBERRA ACT
> 2602
> *
> Contact: *Alister Nairn (alister.nairn at abs.gov.au
> <mailto:alister.nairn at abs.gov.au>)