[Aust-NZ] Best approach to adding vector layer to NZTopo TMS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Feb 22 20:51:11 PST 2011

Hi Peter,

Our thoughts are with you guys.

I'd recommend serving your data via WMS and WFS for now. Don't worry about tiling until you have the time to put it together.

This will open up your data to the greatest number of people, including those using Google Earth.

One of the findings of OGC OWS7 that was held during the Haiti earthquake was that this was a good way of providing timely access to data.

Google Earth users will be able to add:

WMS: via Tools>Add Image Overlay menu item.      See [1].

WFS (via KML using GeoServer):   the Tools>Add Network Link menu item. There is even a facility to update the data on a time basis or when a particular area is revisited. See [2] and [3].

An example of a URL to use to display WFS (via KML) data coming out of GeoServer is:

http://<server-name>/geoserver/ows?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=wml:<namespace>&styles=&bbox=-4340053.435,-1.0330423859E7,6514765.77,-331935.533&width=512&height=471&srs=EPSG:3112&format=kml

URL, EPSG, namespace and extent will of course need to be revised for your situation.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

[1] http://earth.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=22373&topic=22376&answer=148100#wms

[2] http://earth.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=22369&topic=27830#networklinks