[Aust-NZ] FW: [OSOR-news] OSOR Monthly Open Source News Service - January 2011 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Wed Feb 23 20:17:13 PST 2011

fyi
------ Forwarded Message
From: <osor-news at osor.eu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 02:30:12 +1100
To: <osor-news at osor.eu>
Subject: [OSOR-news] OSOR Monthly Open Source News Service - January 2011

Open Source Observatory and Repository for European public administrations
Monthly Open Source News Service — 31 January 2010
Welcome to the Monthly Open Source News Service of the OSOR project!
This monthly alert keeps you updated with news related to the use of Free/Libre/Open Source software (FLOSS) in the public sector in Europe. It includes the latest FLOSS software-related news, activities, initiatives and insights from across Europe and beyond.

Enjoy reading – and visit us at http://osor.eu <http://www.osor.eu/> !

Latest News
| View all News <http://www.osor.eu/news>

 *   Report: Use savings of open source to develop new tools <http://www.osor.eu/news/report-use-savings-of-open-source-to-develop-new-tools>
 *   | 14 January 2011 | Italy
 *
 *   Federal administrations in Russia told to move to open source <http://www.osor.eu/news/federal-administrations-in-russia-told-to-move-to-open-source>
 *   | 14 January 2011 | Russia
 *
 *   ES: Basque Government will make other institutions benefit from its successful Open Source experience <http://www.osor.eu/news/pt-parliamentarians-propose-to-make-open-standards-mandatory>
 *   | 25 January 2010 | Spain
 *
 *   FR: City of Rennes opens up its data to the public <http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-city-of-rennes-opens-up-its-data-to-the-public>
 *   | 25 January 2011 | France
 *
 *   IT/EU: Emilia Romagna Region shares findings on open source usage in public administrations <http://www.osor.eu/news/it-eu-emilia-romagna-region-shares-findings-on-open-source-usage-in-public-administrations>
 *   | 25 January 2011 | Italy
 *
 *   FI: Municipalities increasingly interested in open source software <http://www.osor.eu/news/fi-municipalities-increasingly-interested-in-open-source-software>
 *   | 25 January 2011 | Finland
 *
 *   LV: Valmiera municipality values its vendor independence <http://www.osor.eu/news/lv-valmiera-municipality-values-its-vendor-independence>
 *   | 26 January 2011 | Latvia
 *
 *   CH: Public spending cuts for cantons using or migrating to free software <http://www.osor.eu/news/ch-public-spending-cuts-for-cantons-using-or-migrating-to-free-software>
 *   | 26 January 2011 | Swiss
 *
 *   US: Government instructs its procurers not to discriminate against open source software <http://www.osor.eu/news/us-government-instructs-its-procurers-not-to-discriminate-against-open-source-software>
 *   | 27 January 2011 | US
 *
 *   RU: OSOR guidelines on procurement translated into Russian <http://www.osor.eu/news/ru-osor-guidelines-on-procurement-translated-into-russian>
 *   | 27 January 2011 | Russia
 *
 *   EC Research Center makes available its open source guidelines <http://www.osor.eu/news/es-government-support-and-use-key-for-adoption-of-open-source>
 *   | 27 January 2011 | EU
 *
 *   FI: City of Helsinki to start open source desktop pilot <http://www.osor.eu/news/fi-city-of-helsinki-to-start-open-source-desktop-pilot>
 *   | 28 January 2011 | Finland
 *
 *   INT: The Document Foundation joins OpenDoc Society <http://www.osor.eu/news/int-the-document-foundation-joins-opendoc-society>
 *   | 28 January 2011 | World Wide
 *
 *   RO: E-government software site locked in to proprietary software <http://www.osor.eu/news/ro-e-government-software-site-locked-in-to-proprietary-software>
 *   | 28 January 2011 | Romania
 *
 *   DE: Freiburg: open source office three to four times cheaper <http://www.osor.eu/news/de-freiburg-open-source-office-three-to-four-times-cheaper>
 *   | 28 January 2011 | Germany
 *
 *   PL: 'Ninety percent op public administrations use open source' <http://www.osor.eu/news/pl-ninety-percent-op-public-administrations-use-open-source>
 *   | 31 January 2011 | Poland
 *
 *   EC prefers open source for new IT systems deployed by contractors <http://www.osor.eu/news/ec-prefers-open-source-for-new-it-systems-deployed-by-contractors>
 *   | 31 January 2011 | EU

Upcoming Events

Foss Lviv 2011 <http://www.osor.eu/events/foss-lviv-2011>
| 1 - 4 February 2011 | Lviv, Ukraine

An International Research and Practice Conference on open source software will be held in early February in Lviv, Ukraine.

Linux & Open Source Expo, London <http://www.osor.eu/events/linux-open-source-expo-london>
| 2 - 3 February 2011 | Barbican Hall 1 London, UK

The Linux & Open Source Expo 2011 is the United Kingdom�s only dedicated Linux and open cource conference and exhibition. According to the organisers there is a natural synergy with cloud computing, virtualization and open source.

Free and Opensource Software Developers European Meeting 2011 <http://www.osor.eu/events/free-and-opensource-software-developers-european-meeting-2011>
| 5 - 6 February 2011 | Brussels, Belgium

FOSDEM (Free and Opensource Software Developers European Meeting) is taking place on the weekend of February 5 and 6 in Brussels, Belgium. It is one of the largest and most popular FOSS events on the planet, with around three hundred talks, many free and open source software projects, and free entrance for everyone.

BE: First Drupal Developer Days Brussels 2011 <http://www.osor.eu/events/be-first-drupal-developer-days-brussels-2011-1>
| 5 - 6 February 2011 | Brussels, Belgium

The conference will take place in parallel with the 2011 edition of Europe's largest open source gathering called �Free and Open Source Software Developers' European Meeting� (FOSDEM). This two-day event will be preceded by a code sprint on 4 February 2011.

Brno Developers Conference 2011 <http://www.osor.eu/events/brno-developers-conference-2010>
| 11 - 12 February 2011 | Brno, Czech Republic

The Brno Developers Conference is an open conference for developers, administrators and users of Linux and JBoss. The conference is organized by Red Hat in the Czech Republic.

FR: Richard Stallman's Conference at Lille's Political Studies Institute <http://www.osor.eu/events/fr-richard-stallmans-conference-at-lilles-political-studies-institute>
| 23 February 2011 | Lille, France

Richard Stallman is a key figure of free software. At this conference whose theme is 'Free software and your freedom' Mr. Stallman will present the philosophy of the free software movement as well as the current status and history of the GNU project. The GNU project, in combination with the Linux kernel, is used by tens of millions of people worldwide.

Fifth ODF plugfest <http://www.osor.eu/events/fifth-odf-plugfest>
| 24 - 25 February 2011 | Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom

The ODF plugfests are an ongoing series of vendor-neutral events, bringing together implementers and stakeholders of the standard. The goal is to achieve maximum interoperability by running scenario-based tests in a hands-on manner and discuss new and proposed features of the ODF specification.

The OSOR.EU project is a pan-European information platform on Free/Libre/Open Source software in the public sector, and is intended to promote and spread the use of best practices in Europe. It aims to provide a comprehensive overview of Free/Libre/Open Source Software policies and activities in the public sector, especially in current and future EU Member States.