[Aust-NZ] GeoNext Dec 26th Sydney

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 05:30:38 PDT 2014

I was able to write up a blog post on GeoNext:
- http://boundlessgeo.com/2014/03/geonext/

Simon Hope provided open source as a key enabler, and provided a nice shout
out to GeoGit, Leaflet and others. Other than that there was not a lot of
open source stuff out of the speakers.

This was almost a good sign as the "hackfest" participants often made use
of open source tools along the way, but it was presented "in passing"
rather than something unusual.  Here had also donated an API which I am
sure distracted a lot of participants from choosing open source.

While open source was not singled out, open data resulted in a bit of
"tension" present in the presentation on Sydney buses (and in the follow up
Q&A).

Jody Garnett