[OSGeo Oceania] Geowebcache tile naming scheme

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:07:57 PDT 2019

Hi Oceanians

is anyone out there extremely familiar with geowebcache’s tile naming
schemes - for example given a grid schema what are the decisions behind how
map tiles are named?

Essentially given a grid schema declaration and a bunch of imagery I need
to replicate what GWC does in Python. …and unfortunately gdal2tiles / the
OSM tile naming code doesn't use the same tile naming / indexing schema (it
needs to match exactly an existing tiling schema - which is custom, and I
haven’t managed to decrypt yet).

What I’m missing is a likely small but very critical piece of logic which
will let me map from geographic bounds to tile index locations, for example
from:

input_tiff(minx miny maxx maxy) -> /zoomlevel/????/????_????.png

…for output tiles in EPSG4326 (plate carree), indexed to lower left corner.

I’ve been digging into Geowebcache code, but Java does my head in and the
wormholes get too deep in there. I can’t find any documentation which
really explains well how this mapping is done.

I have a small budget for an hour of your time; alternately feel free to
respond in public and I will buy you beer/dinner/give good mojo to FOSS4G
SotM Oceania.

Thanks!

Adam

--