[OSGeo Oceania] Suggest OSGeo Oceania board discussions come back on list

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 03:29:10 PDT 2019

Hello John, Cameron and fellow OSGeo Oceania community members,

I’m in two minds as to how to address this email:

- Firstly, I’m happy to see some momentum around OSGeo-Oceania.

- Secondly, I’m very disappointed to see that we have what appears to be a fait accompli [1] presented to us.

I have not seen any suitable discussion on how we want to establish a local community, the rules that we want to work to, how we are going to select and reselect our community leaders etc, etc.

The last that I recall was when I dug out an older email where I listed a number of concerns related to creating a legal entity about five months ago [2]. I have not seen these addressed, or had the opportunity to participate in the follow up discussion.

Perhaps I have missed all of this discussion?

I have looked through the Oceania email archives, but cannot see the relevant discussion. So I wasn’t imagining not seeing it.

Can someone please outline how we have arrived at this point without suitable community engagement and discussion?

Kind regards,

Bruce

[1] https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fait-accompli

[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oceania/2019-March/001993.html