[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 19:20:41 PDT 2019

>From Kerry:

> *COMMENT: If anyone can nominate new members - can you self-nominate?  In
> which case isn't this an application for membership? Is the intention that
> the nominator is already a member, because this is not specified.*
>
> *It does seem odd that anybody in the whole world can nominate another
> person for membership.*

Thanks Kerry. This was intentionally introduced on 27 Sep when we attempted
to resolve some disagreement by consolidating two membership tiers into a
single tier. Since one key idea is to keep a low barrier to entry, while
still maintaining some control over the membership process, this was
changed from "*any member may nominate...*" to "*anybody can nominate...*"
so that we're avoiding an "inner circle" situation.

I don't think it's especially odd that anybody in the whole world can
nominate (including self-nomination). If someone meets our eligibility
criteria, and wishes to become a member, then we should welcome them as
members regardless of who they know.