[OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 04:22:55 PDT 2019

*>I think having elections as part of the AGM is a better idea. We can
ensure that we have some kind of system enabled for remote access.*

My strong preference for elections after the AGM, rather than during, is
based on a few things:
- The conference is a great opportunity to inform and engage people, and
capture their imaginations. If we run the election after the conf, we can
use this effect to recruit new candidates. Conversely, if it's at the AGM,
the only candidates may be those who are already aware of OO and know
enough to commit to standing for election, we may have a significantly
smaller pool.
- A live election at the AGM would provide an advantage to candidates who
are physically present. I expect there will be people who can't attend but
would be excellent board members. I'd like these people to have equal
opportunity.
- A live election would provide an advantage to candidates who are
comfortable standing on a stage and selling themselves. I would like to see
people take their time to consider why they want to serve on the board, and
articulate it in writing, and give voting members time to consider and
digest the candidates' positions before voting.
- I don't like the idea of holding the election in the middle of the
conference. To me it feels like an unwelcome distraction from the joy of a
high energy event. Also, changing the board in the middle of the big event
could be awkward and maybe chaotic.

Using the conference and AGM to drive engagement, and running the election
shortly thereafter, will give us a bigger (and arguably better) pool of
potential candidates, and give us the breathing room to focus on the
election properly, at a measured pace.

I also note that OSGeo doesn't run the elections at the AGM, though I don't
know the reason for this.

What are the advantages of having the election at the AGM?