[OSGeo Oceania] A discussion on openness

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:17:17 PST 2020

Thanks for your thoughtful response Phil. I share much of your positivity
and appreciation for all the board has achieved.

I agree that managing the myriad of communication channels is difficult and
time consuming. I have a love/hate relationship with the mailing lists, but
they seem to be the most open, universal mechanism to
disseminate information and have discussions. *Prediction*: *The year is
3020 and we're still sending emails to mailing lists.*

My own conclusion with communication is that people should communicate
wherever they like, but you have one central, open place for
official/important communication and that would be the mailing list. Part
of the conversation here seems to be: what is official and important? Did
we make things as open as we should have?

These things are hard in a volunteer community, so this is not a criticism
of anyone, but a reflection on the ways we can continually improve.