[OSGeo Oceania] A discussion on openness

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:07:03 PST 2020

Thank you Adam for taking the time to contribute what must have been a very difficult response.

I value your thoughts on this.

If Osgeo-Oceania is going to survive as a viable open source community, we need to learn from experiences such as yours and John’s.

We cannot afford to turn away and lose such talent from our community.

Our volunteers are our lifeblood. We cannot afford to lose any.

OK, I can see that there is an issue here.

It is important that we understand the root cause of what has caused this rift within our community.

Therefore, I urge others to also share their experiences. We can then move forward.

It is not easy establishing and nurturing a successful open source community. Once it is done effectively, the community will develop a momentum of its own.

I can see that we have been very successful at attracting new blood to our community. However that has also brought people who are new to open source communities and how they need to operate to thrive.

With some effort, we can resolve this current bump in the road.

To the current and former OSGeo Oceania Directors. Thank you for volunteering your skills and time to lead our community. You have not had an easy task, and it is easy for those who have not been in a similar position to criticise.

As a community, we can turn this situation around. We have a lot of experience to call on, particularly those with extensive international open source experience.

Kind regards,

Bruce