[OSGeo Oceania] Fwd: [Charter-members] 2020 OSGeo Board of Directors election results

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:59:18 PST 2020

My feeling is that voter participation is probably closely linked to
general community engagement. If we set engagement as a priority for OSGeo
Oceania, I think we'll see participation improve over time.

Some things I'd support, towards this end:

   - Support local groups, local events, local initiatives. Articulate the
   parameters of a grant program, invite applications, and put the funds of
   the organisation to work.
   - Continue to open up the organisation to more people, by making it easy
   for people to follow along and find out where they want to contribute.
   Commit to transparency, make board & working group meetings open-invitation
   wherever possible, write clear and simple terms of reference and keep them
   up to date, use open 2-way channels of communication.

Andrew's suggestion for a gentle reminder that voting is required could
help. I agree the comms were good.

Regarding removing people from the membership register: this idea was
driven by our old constitution, which said we needed 20% of the members
present at a General Meeting, which is very difficult if the member list is
largely inactive. This year's AGM wouldn't have met quorum under those
rules. When OO adopted the current constitution, this changed to "the lower
of 20% of the Membership or 10 Members", easier to achieve, so it's less
critical to keep the list from getting stale.

It still feels OK to me to use this method to trim the list when people
become inactive, but I suggest doing it gently - ask members if they want
to stay on, rather than just drop them.

Cheers
John