[OSGeo Oceania] Fwd: [Charter-members] 2020 OSGeo Board of Directors election results

Phil Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Tue Dec 15 02:26:31 PST 2020

Hi John and other folks,

It’s certainly an interesting point and one that I can understand. Many people I work with, using open source technology, are not part of OSGEO /FOSS4G/OSMF and would unlikely even attend a FOSS4G conference because they are occasional users of the technology and use it as a means to some other end (ie create maps to support grant applications for environmental work, niche map requirements, interested in mapping their local area). They are also usually volunteers in some other organisation. I am a conduit between them and the technology. I am also retired, have time to engage and despite being untrained in any spatial technologies, have an interest in how things might develop.

Much of my interest/use of the technology I can also do without OSGEO, but I see OSGEO, the SIGS, conferences, user group meets, mapathons etc as a way to expand both my knowledge and to pass that on to others that I am supporting.

I do much more on other communication channels (Discord, slack (local and international)) and that gives me a much better idea of what is happening in OSM, Humanitarian work, who is having issues with OS tech etc, what crowdfunding is underway for projects and what mapping is happening in OSM.

At the moment, from the email lists, I think much of the need is for those folks who have the desire and expertise in setting up an organisation, defining the goals, setting out the ground rules for the organisation. For many, this is likely something they either have no expertise in, or little interest and hence maybe the reason for low engagement.  For me, I am just digesting all the emails and seeing how things develop, voting when required and speaking up occasionally.

People will come to OSGEO and the SIGS when things are well defined (so they can see if they fit in the organisation) and they have a need, or when they feel they can contribute directly to the organisation, or maybe when the communication channels are expanded to where they are residing.

The one thing I have learnt in volunteering, and Open Communities, is that nothing happens at any speed and engagement and retention can be very hard.

Cheers - Phil