[OSGeo Oceania] [Aus-NZ-QGIS-group] Community consultation: OO Org QGIS Special Interest Group Charter

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 12:35:44 PST 2020

Hey Andrew and all the QGIS SIG proposers

Thanks, I think this is a perfect use of OSGeo Oceania as a backing
organisation :)

My only reservation with any SIG proposal is that effort isn't
duplicated about events and marketing, and also that a funding from a
small pool of interested parties (relative to other parts of the
world) is able to be effectively spread among the whole community. For
an example it would be a bit awry to see a SIG gather a heap of
funding at the expense of conference sponsorships. I guess in that
case the SIG could also sponsor conferences? This goes the other way
too - the existence of a well connected SIG makes it easier for OO to
fund a QGIS feature (for example) if it decides to do so.

I think clear, constant and open communication between OO and the SIG
will make those concerns go away.

In writing this I did work my thoughts through to  a serious question:
How will the SIG deal with conflicts of interest? A stated aim of the
SIG is to fund development, what will the SIG do if all the key QGIS
developers in the region are also in the group of people making
decisions about buying developer time?

My only comment on the charter itself is that if you want, you can
link to the existing Berlin Code of Conduct:
https://berlincodeofconduct.org/ - with which the upcoming OO CoC
should be 100% compatible.

Cheers,

Adam