[OSGeo Oceania] Call for Feedback Due 23rd Sept - Board Election Process & Timeline

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Sep 13 16:39:47 PDT 2020

Hi John, Adam, all
I agree with your second point, John, that this should be covered by the constitution. I awas myself uneasy with the decision that the board decides this.

I am not in agreement with the first point. I believe that we are now past the ”storming and forming” stage of the organisation, and our initial days.
I believe that to stand as a director, members need to demonstrate that a member has been active for a period of time, in good faith. The issues OSM had in the last year are a testament. The organisation is now managing substantial funds, and carries responsibility.

This could be addressed in a number of ways, in my eyes:

  *   A candidate could have the backing of a number of members that have been members for at least 12 months ( I suggest 3), if the candidate themself were not a member for that period;
  *   A backing of a SIG could be equivalent.
Anyway, I do not see a problem for people to wait for 12 month before being  nominated for a director.

Martin