[OSGeo Oceania] What is an OSGeo Oceania Member [was: Re: Call for Feedback Due 23rd Sept - Board Election Process & Timeline]

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:49:20 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I believe that OSGeo Oceania has lost its way on this.

What is a ‘member’?

I understand that for most OSGeo communities, a member of the community is someone who self identifies as being a member and participates constructively in community activities.

The member’s participation, actions and community standing are taken into account when nominations and voting are called for and conducted.

This is how the concept of ‘Member’ has been treated  for most of the 14+ years that I’ve been involved with the local OSGeo AustNZ and now Oceania Community.

Somewhere along the way over the last year or so, we have lost our way and the term ‘Member’ has come to be overloaded and mean something else.

I think that this evolved over discussions as to who can vote for OSGeo Oceania board members.

My 2c.

Kind regards,

Bruce