[OSGeo Oceania] Update

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:31:34 PDT 2021

Colleagues,

I have spent around 15 years with OSGeo-AustNZ and now OSGeo-Oceania. This included working as a member of the FOSS4G-2009 Local Organising Committee.

Eduardo is correct that in an open source community, communications MUST be open.

For OSGeo-Oceania this means the oceania at lists.osgeo.org list.

If I look at our list archives [1], I find very little in the way of open discussions.

Imagine my surprise to find a FOSS4G event in Perth recently.  I only found this in passing on a LinkedIn thread.

This and the email thread below, is symptomatic of an organisation in trouble.

We discussed the need for openness on this list over twelve months ago in response to the problems that the then Oceania Board was having. It is apparent that this advise has been ignored.

I intend stepping back from OSGeo Oceania and focus my volunteer time elsewhere.

I’m currently a list administrator. I no longer wish to hold this role. I suggest that the current board find a replacement.

Kind regards,

Bruce

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oceania/