[OSGeo Oceania] [FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G 2023

Jonah Sullivan jonahsullivan79 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 15:55:32 PST 2022

Thanks for the insider information Adam.

I think we'll do well to have an in-person conference here in Oceania this
year. The Locate Conference <https://locateconference.com/> is planning to
have a big in-person geospatial conference here in Canberra in May: the
first in-person geospatial conference in Australia that I know of.

The past two years have been hybrid online/hubs, which have had varying
degrees of success (as you would expect). The 2021 FOSS4G conference almost
collapsed due to a lack of interest, but Edoardo pulled it together and
delivered some good content and several hub managers rallied their local
areas really well.

The Australian Government still isn't allowing tourist visas or cruise
ships, which is probably going to change sooner rather than later.
Personally, I'm planning a lot of international travel this year, starting
with a trip to Singapore in May <https://iho.int/en/msdiwg13-2022>, and
maybe more trips to Southeast Asia as soon as next month. Hopefully the
ease of travel within Oceania returns to 2019 levels this year, but I'm
sure the governments of several Small Island Developing States will prefer
to keep their citizens safe
<https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/127686462/the-last-tiny-countries-still-without-covid>
longer than the Australian Government.

I'll talk to the OSGeo Oceania Board about the opportunity but the initial
reaction hasn't been positive.