[GeoForAll-UrbanScience] Diversity building in our collaborative 'urban science/city analytics' efforts

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Jun 23 04:26:00 PDT 2015

Hi GeoForAll Urban Science folks

I'm working on 'activities' section for our 'Open Geospatial Science for
Urban Vulnerability' NSF RCN proposal. The vast majority of this proposal
will be asking for funding to send people in our network to either FOSS4G
NA or the FOSS4G global to participate in several activities that will be
co-located there:

1) *Annual ‘Train the Trainer’ workshops on open access educational
material (FOSS4G NA and FOSS4G global);*
*2) Annual **Open Geospatial Science for Urban Vulnerability Doctoral
Consortia at FOSS4G global; *
*3) **Coordinated regular ‘Academic Track’ paper submissions to these
conferences on Open Geospatial Science for Urban Vulnerability;*
*4) A**nnual 1-day ‘collaborative paper or grant sprints’ co-located at the
FOSS4G NA and global conferences;*
*and,*
*5) Hold regular bi-monthly RCN steering committee meetings, and subgroup
meetings via an online conferencing system*

If anyone has any reactions to any of the above or other ideas I should
consider, let me know.

But here's my question:

NSF ENCOURAGES EFFORTS TO HELP BUILD A DIVERSE COLLABORATIVE NETWORK. Are
there things we can specifically do to encourage more women in this effort
or a more diverse participant pool in general? One idea I have is to build
a larger participant pool from the African Continent somehow. Thoughts,
reactions? I could use some ideas on how to build diversity.

Thanks,
Charlie