[OpenDroneMap-users] laptop recommendation

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Apr 12 10:12:59 PDT 2015

On 04/12/2015 05:48 AM, Frederic Muller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was thinking to add a laptop to my hexacopter which purpose is to do
> orthophoto. Do you have any recommendation regarding the CPU/RAM/HDD and
> Video for such a dedicated machine?
>
> What do you guys run ODM on?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Fred

My recommendation is to not use a laptop. I'm also confused about your
wording, you want to fly the laptop or just use the laptop to
post-process the images. Is the reason for a laptop so you can see
results in the field? That's unrealistic unless you subsample to a very
small set of photos.

A desktop, server, or virtualized server will in almost all cases
provide faster results. In the case of virtualized you can also only pay
a few cents an hour when you use it.

CPU seems to matter the most right now so Intel i7 or 2600v3 cpu, solid
state disks never hurt. At this time ODM does not appear to need huge
amounts of RAM. It also does not yet leverage any GPU offloading, though
there has been discussion of it.

-Alex