[OpenGeoscience] Activities at EGU 2018: Call for abstracts / Townhall / Splinter

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Dec 8 05:04:43 PST 2017

Thanks for pushing this again Peter.  I actually just went back each
year in the wiki, back to 2014 reading the LessonsLearned.

I can appreciate the idea to have a lunch/splinter event, but I agree
that we would lose the 'extras' that we can include for attendees in the
evening.

Question/Comment: the FOSS4G-Japan events use the evening session for
lightning talks, everyone is more relaxed, some 'refreshments' are
provided with light snacks, and attendees stand around the presenter up
close, and listen to the lightning talk - some important points that
they use for this, which generate a more 'open' feeling:

   - no stage or podium.  the lightning speaker is given a mic and
stands level beside the attendees, near the free 'refreshments'.  I am
actually very against the stage and the podium, as it portrays a "I am
talking down to you, I am here to lecture you" imagine which actually
bores me.

   - few slides.  Attendees have just watched an entire 8 hours of
slides, would anyone want to watch even more slides?  Impossible.

   - no seating, everyone stands.  This makes everyone more 'social', I
have seen this in so many events.  The worst we can do is force
attendees to sit at a table of 5, which limits discussion to those 5.

   - colorful topics or more interesting topics.  Yes it can be done.

This is my advice, from attending so many of these extra sessions
outside the program, at so many events around the world.  Can we apply
some of this to our EGU session?

You do mention 'dinner' which usually refers to a feeling quite opposite
of what I mention above.   But is any of that feedback useful in this
townhall case?   hmmmmmmmmmmm

-jeff