[OpenLayers-Dev] XPATH library to support GML parsing

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:51:03 EST 2006

Yes Paul.
 From the Sarissa web site:
"Supported browsers are Mozilla - Firefox and family, Internet Explorer
with MSXML3.0 and up, Konqueror (KDE 3.3+ for sure), Safari and Opera.
Konq, Safari and Opera offer no XSLT/XPath scripting support AFAIK."

A quick trawl around the web found a recommendation for Google AjaXSLT:
 From memory, the reviews of this suggested XSLT performance was not so
good in browsers which didn't support XML natively. However, XPATH might
be ok as it should be easier to implement.

http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2006/02/callout_to_applemacsafari_comm.html
and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/goog-ajaxslt/

"AJAXSLT is an implementation of XSLT in JavaScript. Because XSLT uses
XPath, it is also an implementation of XPath that can be used
independently of XSLT. This implementation has the advantange that it
makes XSLT uniformly available on more browsers than natively provide
it, and that it can be extended to still more browsers if
necessary.

The library works in these browsers:

- Firefox/1.0, Firefox/1.5
- Internet Explorer/6.0
- Safari/1.2, Safari/1.3, Safari/2.0
- Opera/8.0, Opera/8.5"

Paul Spencer wrote:
> Isn't this the part that makes mapbuilder not work in Safari?
>
> Paul
>
> On 9-Nov-06, at 10:43 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> Mapbuilder has GML, WMC, SLD parsers which could be ported over
>> OpenLayers. In particular, I'm considering porting the GML parser over
>> to OpenLayers to provide a GML Layer.
>>
>> In Mapbuilder we use XPATH for a lot of our parsing.
>> At other times, we use XSLT.
>> Xpath syntax looks something like:
>> selectSingleNode("//ows:BoundingBox/@crs")
>>
>> The cross browser XPATH and XSLT functionality we use is provided by
>> http://sarissa.sf.net . I assume other ajax frameworks like Dojo and
>> Atom provide something similar.
>>
>> While I'm not convinced that XSLT is required by OpenLayers yet, I  think
>> XPATH would be very useful.
>>
>> I suggest that OpenLayers considers including all, or part of a  library
>> which supports XPATH. Sarissa is available under the LGPL, GPL and
>> Apache Software Licence.
>>
>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> http://cameron.shorter.net

> |Paul Spencer                          pspencer at dmsolutions.ca    |
> |Chief Technology Officer                                         |
> |DM Solutions Group Inc                http://www.dmsolutions.ca/ |

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net