[OpenLayers-Dev] layer class for ArcGIS Server MapServer Object web service

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Thu Nov 30 02:18:56 EST 2006

Brian,

"The big reason that I'm endeavoring with the AGS layer is that I need to be
able to dynamically apply ad hoc filter expressions to the features within
layers in the AGS map service.  I'm not an OGC expert, but looking at the
specs, it didn't appear that WMS could do this.  WFS can, but the
potentially large number of features each layer returns seems like it might
not perform well when managed/rendered client-side like WFS."

OGC can do that using SLD (Styled Layer Descriptor) WMS. It uses Filter
expressions to make the selections. Check:

https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=1188

Or a more comprehensive tutorial for Mapserver WMS:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/sldhowto

AFAIK ESRI supports SLD to some extent.

Best regards,
Bart