[OpenLayers-Dev] [Dev] Re: Vectors in OpenLayers?

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Fri Oct 20 07:05:03 EDT 2006

Also, if somebody starts drawing new geometries from scratch, you will
need a way to generate GML to insert them using a WFS. So not in all use
cases will the client already have the data in GML format.

Cameron, are you suggesting to go for one format (WKT or GML), and then
use the server-side to transform if necessary? If so, would you go for
WKT or GML? In my opinion GML is the most logical option, it can always
be transformed server-side to WKT if you need to go to something like
PostGIS directly (without a WFS), since mostly we will talk to OGC web
services and not to something like PostGIS directly. Disadvantage is
that its structures are more elaborate than WKT.

Best regards,
Bart