[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Users] Work around for bug #541 ??

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 2 16:31:30 EDT 2007

Christopher,

I updated to trunk today, did a build.py full and I'm using the
OpenLayers.js - Thank you getting svn fixed up.

I am still having serious performance problems.

Step 1:
http://imaptools.com/ld-test.html
Click on Algers, DZ link this displays just fine and is very fast notice
the Features: 50, I have maxfeatures=50 set.

Step 2:
Click Zoom + This runs reasonably fast, BUT the Features: 100. This is
clearly wrong. maxfeatures=50 and there are less displayed because of
the zoom in. So this looks like a bug in OL where on zoom in:
1) you should reuse the current feature set for the layer if maxfeatures
is NOT set
2) you should clear the current feature set if maxfeatures IS set and
re-query for new features.
3) ALWAYS clear the current features set and requery, because in a
multiuser environment the features on the server might have been updated
and you want to get a fresh copy.
4) Allow some combination of these behaviors to be set in the layer
definition similar to maxfeatures.

Step 3:
Click Zoom + again and it takes about 5 mins for the browser to process
the request. Features: 139

Step 4:
Reload the page to start over.
Click on Algers, DZ
Click Zoom -, This takes about 5 mins to return with NO poi displayed.
The mapfile has MAXSCALE 50000 set for the WFS LAYER

Step 5: after Step 4 returns, you can zoom out fast and zoom in until
you hit the WFS points and if you try to zoom out again you get the same
delay.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
-Steve