[OpenLayers-Dev] uml class diagram

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 17:12:05 EDT 2007

Emanuel,
I'd love to have UML exports of JS projects like OpenLayers. UML
diagrams provide a fast way for a new developer to quickly get an
understanding about the structure of a software package and find the
part that they want to work on or use.

The original jsdoc has a primitive UML export function, but the original
jsdoc doesn't parse OpenLayers code. :(

If you are keen, you might be able to write XSL to convert the jsdoc
export to XMI format. I don't know how much effort is required. It might
be easier just to update jsdoc2 code.

A few of us manually created a UML model for the vector graphics branch
of OpenLayers before we wrote it. I don't think it will be of much use
to you because it is now out of date (we didn't update it as we wrote
the code) and it only covers the vector components of Openlayers. You
are welcome to look at it. It is in the universal XMI format, created
with Umbrello (available on linux).
http://svn.codehaus.org/mapbuilder/trunk/mapbuilder/mapbuilder/design/uml/graphics.xmi