[OpenLayers-Dev] state of KML support

Sebastian Schmitz sebastian.schmitz at wheregroup.com
Wed Aug 1 04:00:39 EDT 2007

Hi,

comments inline.

Cameron Shorter schrieb:
> See comments from Chris Holmes below.
>
> Of note: Lisasoft has OGC funding to develop a KML client. We have been
> given the option to use Google Developer Toolkit or Mapbuilder. If we
> decide to work with Mapbuilder, then we will work in conjunction with
> other KML work in Openlayers.
>
> Chris Holmes wrote:
>
>> I'm not on OL-dev.  Tim could maybe tell people we're funded to work
>> on KML stuff.
>>
>> I think MapBender is also funded for KML client stuff.
Correct.
>> I do think
>> it'd be kind of silly for three implementations to just all leverage
>> the OL code to do KML...  And kind of not what the sponsors want.

I would like to make the contrary point: OGC wants to have KML support
in several FOSS4G projects (Mapbender, Mapbuilder, ...), but they do not
really care how that will be implemented. They have funded many projects
with little money. Too little money to get distinct implementations of
well-featured KML support in every single project, UNLESS the projects
join together and decide for one library to use, integrate and develop.
That library might be OpenLayers. We should decide. Which other FOSS4G
projects work on OWS-5 KML client? Anybody know? Given we decide for
OpenLayers, the projects themselves should allow for the integration of
OpenLayers as map tool library and OpenLayers should push forward KML
support, maybe getting partial funding from the OWS-5 funded projects.
Seems like an OSGeo / FOSS4G showcase to me.
>> Tim, I may try to call tomorrow to catch up a bit on stuff.
>>
>> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>
>>> Chris Holmes,
>>> You might want to weigh in on this thread and mention your proposed
>>> OWS 5 work.

How many days would you reckon it would take someone to integrate
polygons and basic styling into OpenLayers? Is OpenLayers interested in
that?

Cheers

Sebastian