[OpenLayers-Dev] [OpenLayers-Users] ArcGIS Server map cache and OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Dec 6 15:54:00 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 03:28:58PM -0500, Dejung Gewissler wrote:
> Sorry about putting this on both users and dev at the same time, but I
> am new here and don't really know where it belongs.<br>

This one could have gone to dev, because it's about developing inside
openlayers/lib/OpenLayers. Pretty much anything inside that directory is
dev related: anything outside that directory is for users.

> I have the requirement to be able to consume/display an ArcGIS server
> map cache as a base layer in OL. Tooling around in the sandboxes I
> found one that belongs to STVN.&nbsp; I have incorporated it into our test
> app which can be found at:<br>
> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://199.20.64.48/ags/arcgis/server/appTests/OL/popup_georss/index_external.html">http://199.20.64.48/ags/arcgis/server/appTests/OL/popup_georss/index_external.html</a><br>
> I know sandboxes aren't production code, etc. but I would like to
> enhance it and then contribute the resulting code. How does that work?
> I will be registering soon as a contributer by signing the license
> agreement and getting a username, etc.<br>
> Do I need to contact STVN for permission first or is the fact that it
> is in the SVN good enough?<br>

Steven has signed an ICLA for the code, and you can use it as a base for
development as if it were in trunk. Thank you for being diligent and
asking.

> Is it possible to specify a origin/upper-left position of just one
> grid/tile layer without affecting the other layers that work correctly?
> Since I know the tile origin of the AGS map cache, I would like to
> shift the AGS layer so that the first image loaded starts at that
> position (geographically correct) and not where the WMS tiles are
> starting from.<br>

You would need to add this functionality to the Layer.Grid class. Tim
Schaub has done some work on this -- I don't know if he has any code --
but essentially, the Layer.Grid class should accept a 'TileOrigin' which
would allow you to state from where the tiles are centered.

Currently, the way you do this is by setting the maxExtent of the layer.
If you set the maxExtent of the layer to the extent of your ArcGIS
cache, it *should* work.

For the record, most OL code is based on the lower left, rather than
upper right, corner. This is probably going to be useful to know for any
development you do.

> PS- Also, check out the LayerSwitcher in above app in IE. It's got some
> funky striping on the top and bottom. Anyone have ideas on why that's
> happening or how to fix it?<br>

You might look into seeing if there is any odd CSS lying around? Not
looking at the link at the moment, but that's my first guess.