[OpenLayers-Dev] Review of patches, etc.

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Dec 15 09:12:16 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 08:56:32AM -0500, John R. Frank wrote:

> Chris, sounds like a good idea.
>
> Is it sufficient to request that the committer make detailed comments in
> the SVN commit -m?  Or should every one-liner have a ticket opened and
> closed by the committer?

I don't think we need tickets for everything. Any significant changes --
changes that you would want mentioned in a changelog -- should end up
with a ticket, because that's how we track for mentioning them in
release notes/news for the next release. Sufficiently detailed commit
messages seem fine to me for the common case where a bug is fixed 'on
the fly' -- it will likely be a single line change that this kind of
thing is affected for.

So yeah, I'd say it only needs a ticket if you think that it's something
that's going to be mentioned in release notes. Anything that's simple
bugfixing doesn't need that.

Of course, tickets should continue to be opened by users who know a
problem, but not a fix :) Or with patches for those who don't have
commit rights.