[OpenLayers-Dev] smooth pan (animated)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Dec 21 12:44:45 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 06:12:24PM +0100, Pierre GIRAUD wrote:
> First, I imagined having a panTo method allow user to pan to a new
> given center. Like in google API, I wanted this pan to be smooth only
> if the new center is in the current visible extent. (quite easy).
>
> For the transition effect, I relied on the Robert Penner's famous
> Tween and Easing algorithms. Given an easing mode (linear, exponential
> ...), two objects (from and to) with one or more properties, a time
> interval and a number of steps, it returns intermediate objects with
> updated properties.

>From a licensing perspective, there's a couple things I want to mention
here:
 1. We will need to ensure that this is added to license.txt if it's
    included in the builds. I believe we also need to include the BSD
    license in the distribution if this happens. (This is just a legal
    issue that i want to mention so we don't forget it.)
 2. I'm somewhat of the preference that this code lives outside the
    lib/OpenLayers directory, similar to the Rico stuff. (I understand
    this is in conflict with our use of Prototype stuff, but even
    Prototype was originally outside lib/OpenLayers... back in 1.0)

In general, the idea behind these changes looks good, and I appreciate
you working on them. I don't have time for review at the moment, but I
like the direction that you've taken.